View the Adobe Spark Pages of top student work produced by Don's students at the 2018 KEMPA journalism camp, held on the campus of Marquette University in Milwaukee, WS.
KEMPA Kamp students create an Adobe Spark Page, which includes photos, videos, articles, and an interactive map.
KEMPA video instructor Don Goble explains the benefits of attending a summer video journalism workshop. This video was shot and edited entirely on an iPad with no accessories. The final video was a collaboration of the entire video production and storytelling class at #KEMPASWJ15.
Advanced Video course
For those of you who have the video fundamentals down of shooting and editing, we want to push you to the next level in what you can accomplish in your visual storytelling.
In this advanced video course, we will cover advanced reporting techniques and story structure, videography, sound design, lighting, editing workflow, and ultimately produce multiple stories, which will be published online. We will also discuss effective ways to build staff leadership and plan for your upcoming school year.
The emphasis of this course is on crafting a broadcast news story, NOT on how to use equipment. Make sure that you are familiar with ALL of your equipment. Be sure to connect your camera to your computer and test that it can capture and export footage, and that YOU know how to do it! We may not be familiar with your specific cameras, computers and editing software, so we might not be able to help you should a problem arise.
You will need to bring the following items:
- video camera
- microphone, audio cables and headphones
- charged batteries for your camera
- memory cards for recording your footage
- computer with editing software you are familiar with
- card reader (if your camera uses memory cards)
- any cables required for editing (firewire, USB,etc.)
- external hard drive and cables (if needed for editing)
- notepad, pen/pencil for writing your voice over and taking notes